Sunday, December 18, 2011

Fabric Design Class























































Fabric samples from a fabric design class that I took at the Visual Arts Center in Richmond, VA this past summer. Learned some great techniques such as block printing, shibori, immersion dying, and stencil printing. Would definitely recommend it for any textile design lover.

From top left going clockwise:
1. Mod leaf design I drew on craft foam, then cut out and stuck to transparent paper. Applied thickened dye and stamped to fabric.
2. Shibori technique winding silk fabric around a pole, then wind some string around, then scrunch and place in dye bath.
3. Stencil printed my chevron design with a discharge paste on blue silk fabric, then ironed to lose color. Created an awesome grungy effect!
4. I placed masking tape in diagonal stripes then sprayed concentrated dye from a squirt bottle, wait until dry and then take tape off and viola! Taking the tape of and finally seeing the design is pretty fun.
5. Triangle design using craft foam stamping.

This class really got me interested in textile design and now I'm a bit obsessed with it but in a good way. This last photo is a photo of one of the scarves I made for the Bizarre Market at Chop Suey Books in RVA. I dyed the scarf and then screenprinted using a discharge paste. Intensive process but lovely effect. See more of my hand dyed and/or printed things in my shop.





No comments: